Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kate is four

After the series of birthday celebrations, and telling the girl "no, it's not your birthday yet" several times, she was delighted when she opened her eyes yesterday and received the answer she wanted to hear.

Our conversation at bedtime the night before:

Me: Kate, quickly go to sleep. When you wake up, it'd be your birthday!
Kate: *happy face* Mommy, tomorrow is my birthday? Then I will be 4 years old?
Me: Yes!
Kate: *happiness floweth over*

Little things make her so happy, if only life were really that simple always.



Facetime call early in the morning - from her favourite nainai and yiyi

Kate requested pancakes for breakfast, so while I was preparing it for her, I allowed for some TV time to distract/keep the kids occupied. I turned around, and witnessed the sweetest thing!

Free hugs all around, for no reason at all!

Smiley-and-heart-pancakes
Brought the kids down for a run in the sun after our hearty breakfast.

Here's K riding her new bicycle. What a big girl!

Kate's birthday gift - a pink bicycle, with a basket and ribbons on the seat! Balloon gifted separately. 
After scrubbing the kids up post-sweat, we packed Kate off to school and put Jake for a nap. The husband came back from work and we headed off to Kate's school for the planned birthday celebration with her classmates.

Kate with her classmates, Teacher and Jake
Kate was thrilled to be the centre of attention, though she seemed rather shell-shocked too. Odd, but cute. She was also excited to be giving out goodie bags to everyone. I hope all her friends liked it!

We packed her off from school after this mini celebration - perks of being birthday girl - she gets to cut class! We headed for lunch where we indulged her with french fries and more dessert (on top of her chocolate birthday cupcakes)!

Here's our miserable attempt at taking a nice family picture. Goodness, it was impossible!
We headed home after for the kids to nap while the husband, sadly, had to go back to work. It was about 6pm when we headed out again with yeye to Gardens by the Bay for the lantern festival set-up. What started out as an upbeat car ride to Gardens by the Bay turned a bit awful as Jake started feeling unwell. May be carsickness or something bad he ate (we don't know what) but the poor boy was green and puked several times once we arrived. We didn't cut short the trip because we'd only gotten there, but it did put a dampen on spirits all around. Well, except Kate which I guess was the key person so perhaps it was fine afterall. We pretty much carried Jake and put him to sleep and continued our night. 

After dinner, we chanced upon the Prime Minister's arrival (coincidence!) then navigated to find the lantern area. It was nice but all a bit too cheena for me. Kate also insisted she wanted a snack and I witness for myself how much yeye spoils her as he indulges her (not that I didn't already know this). 

There was a stage performance so we sat around on plastic chairs, stamping on muddy grass (it rained earlier), noming on some local snacks (Hainanese sweet desserts) while watching the stage dance. It was a lot of tribal dances. 

Here's a really hilarious shot of Kate and yeye noming away
We made our way home after all the fanfare, and the night ended on yet another high when K got to open up her birthday gift - very prettily wrapped, I must put on record, jiujiu put in effort to wrap it up himself! - to be treated to something new that she's never known of before.

Nothing more lovely to a little child than opening presents, more presents!
Everyone was tired by the end of the night and I do hope that Kate really enjoyed herself. And just to recap, this was what we did on her last birthday.

Dear Kate, 

You are growing up to be such a fiesty, loving, sensitive little girl. Thank you for teaching me lessons daily, and I must admit that I feel guilty for not being as patient as I'll like to be. I want to tell you that I love you with all my heart - and more - and I don't want you to think that we ever love you any bit less ever. 

I wish that you enjoyed your special day and felt exceptionally showered in love and gifts, and hope that you continue to grow to be a sensible and happy child. You are my precious baby and nothing will ever change that.

I love you sweetheart. Happy birthday. 
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment