Wednesday, March 18, 2015

So, I turn 35...

On a very frustrated note. The clock struck 12 and I was at work. Sitting at my desk, crunching away on my keyboard. Boo. 
The silver lining is that I wasn't alone, so it could have been worse. At least someone was there to wish me. 

I made it home tired and bleary eyed, knocked out feeling strung out and alone.  
At least I have a home and everyone is safe, right?

Morning broke and I had no energy for exercise because I was so tired. I also had a meeting to rush for so I made it off to work. The son was wailing and it made me all grumpy leaving for work. 
The good is that my sweet Dad rang me offering a ride a tad late. My daughter drew me a lovely card.

On the ride to work, I pulled myself together, psyching myself that it's not that awful that I had to work on my birthday. I filtered through social media and sought comfort in the birthday messages streaming through. 

I was in the most sentimental mood as I posted this up.
At least my make-up didn't run.

The original us, 17 March 1991.

I made it to work, started the work day and things just kept piling up. One after another, job after job, issue after issue, I was out of breath. 
At least, I had a job. I also had time in-between meetings to eat a proper lunch.

The afternoon went on, I tried to feel normal, but this cloud of gloom just kept hovering over my head. The work still kept piling up and I allowed my emotions to get the better of me. 

After a day of trying to seek the good things, I let it crumble. 

I spent the next few hours in a total strop. I couldn't receive the birthday wishes to me properly, with heart. I couldn't embrace the birthday cake that was presented to the March babies.

I allowed my bad emotions to overwhelm me and work to defeat me, I was snappy, a horrible little woman, and I was down. 

By 8pm, I finally calmed down. I felt so tired with all the negative energy in me that I couldn't hold on to it anymore. I stopped being stroppy. I stopped being un-nice. I just stopped feeling and just continued ploughing through my work. At some point, the husband offered to pick me, but I declined. I promised to make it home early enough, I knew I wanted to see the kids.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!

And this, seeing them, made it all better again. I made simple, heartfelt wishes. For me, for them, for the family. I was sung a birthday song, we all had cake, they went to sleep, I went to shower.

It was another regular day. But I made it out to be special, and I guess I was disappointed. I wanted to be at play, but I couldn't so I was at conflict within. I could have soldiered on with an open heart, but I didn't, and I let it eat at me and I cried. I cried tears of self pity and sadness, too much of sentiment and emotion. But why?

My husband and children got me cake. I have a birthday card hand-drawn from my girl. I have a beautiful life, home and children. I received flowers from the family. I am an able-bodied, healthy woman. I received plenty of well wishes and smiles and hugs and love all around from friends and family and colleagues. 

My life is not bad at all.


Salted caramel, the husband, and roses from him

And so, as I am ending my night, on my birthday, I'm thinking through how I felt today. True, it started off busy and stressful, but I could have stopped myself from being a pain many times through the day. I think I tried, but I didn't succeed properly.

At 35, I'm still the same, emotional me; I guess some things don't change. It is terribly tiring to be so strung out though, to battle the frustration and responsibility within. But truth is - I did not have to be that unhappy. I did not have to let work envelope me like that, or for myself to be such a pain. 

Perhaps it is really time to stop and think and do something. 
To be happier, to be better, to be stronger, to put things into perspective. 

I guess it's a lesson to learn. That no matter what your age, no matter what the occasion, that no matter what. Everything can be fine, everything will be fine, everything is fine. 

Happy birthday to me. A silly, emotional, some-things-don't-change 35-year-old me.

No comments:

Post a Comment