Tuesday, January 6, 2015

First day of school, 2 January 2015

We all knew the day was coming, and leading up to it I was psyching the kids about it; so that K will not resist going back to school after the long holidays and J will be keen to go. Afterall, my soon-to-be 3yo is going to school for the first time. 

What I was not prepared, was how emotional I felt. It felt strange, wistful, bitter-sweet to see my little baby boy. It didn't feel too long ago where I just sent my little girl to school for the first time. Oh my little boy, how I still remember when you were just a little tee weeny one.

All dressed, but still in the familiar routine of drinking his favourite milk.

Of course, the customary picture with the tree. To signify a new start, not too long after Christmas (the tree).
So thankful that they are together, to watch out for each other
We sent the boy off with the helper to take the school bus.
Look at how happy he is! How grown up!

And everyone arrives unscathed.

At assembly, looking practically bored

Being independent
Little boy, big school

This little missy was happy to see us at school too
Spot J

And then at close to dismissal time, it went downhill. He was used to napping during school hours, and until his body clock is adjusted, he's feeling extremely cranky, right about now.

Boo hoo hoo

When he cries, he cries (the house down). He pretty much knocked out in the school bus instantly - he was that tired. 

And that's the end of his first day. There was little to worry about, except for his over-tiredness, and he was so cool, like the potato he is. Aahh, my little big boy.

As for the big sister, she really is the big sister. She was like a fish in water, familiar with everyone, and everything. She did look out for her little brother, and she is so linked to him that when he cried out of distress and overstimulation, she did too. Yup - my sensitive girl who was so distressed at her brother's non-stop crying that she broke down too.

Overall, I'm pleased with the first day and how it all went. As parents, we - or perhaps I - was no longer so harried about school logistics, and we planned ahead to purchase uniforms and school shoes. It all went pretty good and to see how well they both are, is a good sign for the year to come, I know it.

May you both learn great things in school and thrive, my loves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment