Sunday, August 17, 2014

Shape Fun Run with Kate

Last year, I entered Jake for his inaugural race in the Shape Run 2013. This year, I had the opportunity to do it again with my mini me, and I decided to expose Kate to her first run experience. 

0730: making our way to the race venue

At the starting point - my mini me and me in our sporty Skechers GORun Ride 3!
Seeing the sea of Mommies and their mini mes at the run was so adorable and I really enjoyed the event; having some us-time with the little girl and us looking so sporty and awesome in our gear. May sound frivolous but it is pretty cute - the expanse of happy pink, my happy little child with her enthusiasm and innocence by my side on two levels of matchy-match. Me in my own colour co-ordinated outfit of pink and grey and K's spunky bright outfit of happy pink-yellow-white.

K had been excited about the run, and I think she was slightly overwhelmed by the fanfare of it all. Her innocent questions "Mommy, everyone also running? Mommy, they have the same shirt as you? It's only for adults?" made me thrilled to have this chance to share it with her. Past the start line, she was gearing to go and I tried to not make it too competitive for her; assuring her that I'd be by her side whether she chose to run or walk. We ended up doing walking/running in bits and parts through the whole 1.8km. 

My little big girl
With no time pressure, I grabbed the opportunity for us to take a mid-way #wefie
Aaannnnnndddd... watch her go!
I felt so proud when she chose to just sprint off, when she felt like it. I could tell she was feeling the adrenaline when she took off after watching others do so and I really hope that this experience gives her a clearer understanding of what we do when we tell her we "go to run". 

My favourite shot of the day - look at that determination, concentration and mid-stride pose. Love it!
Happy finishers!
She was so adorably, lamenting how "My heart is pumping so fast! Mommy!" when we crossed the finishing line, because she had given it the final sprint towards it. 

We grabbed some water to hydrate ourselves and she was rewarded with time on the jumping castle. 

So proud of my little girl
Slide-fun
After this point, she kinda got slightly grouchy and complained of feeling hungry and I felt awful because I was not prepared! I had no money on me, and I could only coax her that the car wasn't too far away and once we got my wallet I could buy something for her.

Fortunately, a fellow Mom had some snacks on her and offered K 2 cookies. Saved her rumbling tummy and me from having a cranky child on hand!

No longer a hangry child
The organisers, Skechers, were also kind enough to present us with some goodie bags and this little one had a field day going through it on the way home.

"Hmm, what goodies are there in here?"
We arrived home in high spirits and I'm so happy that I gave K her first exposure to this run. It was neither too long nor short and I'm most proud that she gave it a try. I did not have to carry her, or tell her too much - she was aware of what's happening and was able and willing to do it all by herself. She did feel insecure/slightly overwhelmed at times, I know because she requested for me to be by her side throughout - at water points, on the run - though once she saw that I kept to her pace, ensuring that I was always nearby, she pretty much became a lot more comfortable.

I asked if she would "come run with Mommy again" and she said "Yes". Looking forward to such fun activities and experiences that I can share with my little one!

Disclaimer: Skechers has kindly sponsored a pair of shoes and the run entry for my girl and I. All opinions are on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment