Thursday, February 27, 2014

Happy Birthday, my baby boy

I wasn't sure if I could, but I did and I'm so glad that I did - take the day off. 

Things have been really busy at work and I'm already going to be off for a couple of days next week and I felt bad for taking leave but truly, I need to remember that leave is meant to be taken and while I'm mindful not to take advantage of my employers, I also know that from now, I'll always take the day off to be with my kids on their birthdays. I always did with Kate and I feel awful that I considered not doing so for Jake but today was a great reminder that the day is special and I want to be with them on the day that I birthed them.

I took a leisurely lie-in and had breakfast with the kids. Nothing special, just our usual fare of bread and biscuits then it was time for Missy to go to school.


My children in all their innocence, enjoying the breeze and waiting for the school bus to shuttle Kate to school.
When Kate goes to school, Jake and I go out to play. Driving anywhere never crossed my mind because I know this little boy will love to take the train. He's familiar with how it operates and requests for the ezlink card when he sees the gantries and knows he needs to "tap". He always dutifully returns it to me once we pass through. 

We had lunch - best ramen ever - and while our lunch partner went back to work, we continued to have nothing to do! Well, I secretly planned to go utilise my Christmas present (vouchers are so practical but so awesome!) so off I went to accomplish my intention. The boy was getting cranky as he was way past his nap and after feeding him his milk, he went to sleep very quickly. As quickly as it took me to walk from Robinson Road to Raffles Place! The weather was warm but the sunshine and outdoors felt so attractive that I strolled slowly to City Hall.

The sleeping baby who didn't witness any of the spectacular view, but we were both enjoying the breeze.
After completing my errands (shopping therapy rocks), the boy awakened and I promised him that we'd go to "thee war-ter" (see water)

Mersmerised.

One of us. 

Then we had cake. 
Cake is a big thing for me - it isn't a proper birthday if there isn't cake! - so I got one for him, just us. And look at how happy he is!

Blowing out the candle - sooo cute. 
Then he goes on to cut the cake. 

Birthdays are just so cute and Jake - at 2 years old - knows the drill well! He did it all very proudly, like 5 times. I indulged him because it is his birthday afterall and really, there are no rules that you cannot! Besides, this is what the day is about. To do what made us happy!

Nom nom nom. 
We then took the train home and it was already 5pm. How quickly time flies when you're having fun!

I'd originally planned to bring the kids to the park, but the weather was too hot and I was also tired, and I decided that it'd be fun and practical for them to have a dip in their private pool.

Simple pleasures, huge joys

Then we had dinner with yeye and nainai. The food was so-so, but the kids don't know any better and what's important is how we all made the effort to eat together. Nothing rocks more than family socks.


NO ONE GETS IN THE WAY OF ME BLOWING MY BIRTHDAY CANDLE

It's been a nice day and with 2 minutes left to the 27th day of February, I'll click to end this post and go plant goodnight kisses on my birthday boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment