Saturday, January 5, 2013

Kate goes to school

It's been 3 days and so far, so good.

A year ago, Kate first attempted school (or rather, we attempted to let her go). Despite the optimistic start, things went downhill with Kate and her increasing dislike to go to school. Thinking back, it was indeed a challenge. She was only 2 years 4 mths old then; and with me being heavily pregnant & hormones highly charged... let's just say I'm still tinged with guilt and trauma till today.

Fast-forward back to today. We are definitely in a much better state. (YAY!) The first 3 days have been met with some mini hiccups; being late for the school bus is the main thing (5minutes makes a big difference!) and we've had to go through several rounds of nags briefings to ensure that our handy helper gets all the timings and instructions right. Next Monday will be the real test to see how things unravel, though there's barely any option but for things to run like clockwork.

The school itself is quite a charm; though I'm definitely biased because it's my alma mater (is it counted as that if it's your teeny weeny kindergarten? Haha). The school is currently short-handed, and unfortunately Kate's class is affected. There's one main teacher who's a little bit of a scatterbrain and other teachers are trying to help out. I see so many several areas of concern but because the husband started the lead by being there with Kate from day one (I had work obligations so I only made it the latter 1.5days) and he's calm about the arrangements and assures me "things can only get better", I'm going with the chillax way and not fuss. I figure that my key concern should be Kate and her well-being and with her being co-operative and excited and willing to go to school; that's good enough for me!

How the schedule is like with Kate going to school:

6am: Jake wakes up (still unsuccessful trying to get him to sleep longer *groans)

7am: Everyone is awake. Kate has a good habit of having her breakfast the moment she wakes up. She'll have either bread, cereal, biscuits or anything that we have in the house.

7.30am: the husband leaves for work

7.45am: I leave for work

8-9am: Depending when was Jake's last feed, he'd have his breakfast of cereal.

10am: Kate to be showered and dressed in her uniform. I rather she be prepared earlier than late because this girl has a tendency to just.. well, nua. She's sooo good at dilly-dallying that sometimes, getting her prepared alone takes wayyy too long. So yeah.

10.35am: Kate to put on her socks & shoes, take her water bottle & bag. Jake to be put into the pram. Together, handy helper and the kids leave the house.

10.45am (thereabouts): the school bus picks Kate up. The pick up point is the bus-stop across the road from our house. It's a good arrangement because there's a traffic crossing right beside and if it's raining, at least there's shelter at the bus stop (which is good for the sun too)

11am: Handy helper and Jake come home. Jake's quite a cat napper and I'm hoping that with Kate out of the house for 3 whole hours, the helper and Jake can accomplish more at a  more leisurely manner. Have a decent unhurried lunch, Jake to take looooonger naps hopefully.

2.35pm: Handy helper and Jake to head out to pick Kate.

3.15-3.30pm: Kate to be showered and changed and ready to take her afternoon nap. She used to nap by 1+pm, but with her new school schedule, she's had to push her nap back. I think it's fine, though I do see her being more sleepy in school by this time. It'd take a while but she should be accustomed to the later sleeping time very soon.

5pm: Kate to wake up from her nap.

For the next 3 hours, it's standard home-play for the kids until we get home after work.

I think the schedule works out pretty well; and I hope we get into a sync of things very soon.

And before signing off, here's a really cute pic I secretly snapped while outside her class yesterday.

My attentive, eager-to-learn firstborn. Mommy is so proud of you, darling. I hope you enjoy school and learn plenty of things! Make new friends and learn about life! I love you baby Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment