Friday, August 10, 2012

National Day Parade

Singapore turns 47 this August 9th and the husband managed to score tickets, not to the actual parade, but for the preview the week before. It was good enough for us as we really wanted to bring Kate to the parade for her to watch the fanfare and all.

Kate insisted on changing out of a red and white ensemble which I had ready for her. She wanted to wear something "nice nice" and chose this pink dress instead. Even after she witnessed the sea of red & white, she still responded firmly "I still want to wear this pink dress" when I asked her if she'd preferred to have worn something red & white. This girl loves her pink, I tell you.

Excited and happy to be out. At the gates.

Heading towards the floating platform. 

Fire hazard!
The picture above pretty much summed up how crowded the whole place was. Truth is, I wasn't surprised at the amount of people because I can figure out the amount of people there will be to celebrate the nation's birthday within the floating platform, but I was more astounded at how suffocating and non-condusive the process of getting there (& out) was.

Yes, that's the &%^# face we felt having to squeeze amidst the crowds.

And there was air! I must say that the view is pretty amazing. What with MBS, Singapore Flyer, the whole sea of red and white truly made the whole place festive!

One of my favourite parts of the parade every year. 

The other favourite part of the parade, Singapore flag fly-by. This year, it was made very special. Not just because it's been perhaps 10 years that I attended the Parade (I vaguely remember attending it with my mom when I was in Secondary school maybe? It was then held at the National Stadium), but also that I was with my daughter. Despite the everything that's said about the nation, I know that I'm fortunate to be living here safe with all my loved ones. It was even cuter because Kate's latest favourite song is Majulah Singapura and she thoroughly enjoyed singing the anthem alongside the crowd. 
And that was pretty much the only time she calmly watched the parade, i.e. when the anthem was played and her singing along. The truth is, the husband and I were very disappointed that she was quite terrified most of the time being there. Kate never really liked loud noises and microphones and loud speakers frighten her. And with the loud planes zooming by, the emcees shouting and cheering the crowds on... let's just say she was quite stressed and made it known very loudly to us (and everyone in the vicinity) that "I WANT TO GO HOME!"

The husband and I took turns carrying her throughout the entire parade because we made it this far and we could not believe that she just wanted to leave! It was tiresome and truly, though the husband and I both hadn't been to the parade for many years, I must say that we didn't enjoy ourselves. It's kinda hard to be with a terrified child clinging on to you for her dear life. Project-bring-Kate-to-NDP-fail.

But! A family picture is still a must. 

The fireworks were nice, but by this time, we'd stepped out of the platform and watched from the ground. It wasn't as impactful as I'd have preferred. Things we do to protect our child. (By this time, Kate was quite calm and determinedly instructed her father to "protect! me!" when the fireworks were blasting away. By that, she meant for him to help cup her ears)

At the parade with my baby
What an experience. Happy national day, Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment